The unit and lesson plans in this class are created or chosen to teach the ISTE Standards ( International Society for Technology in Education ) Technology Standards for 21st Century Students.
In this class students will learn how to use the internet as a tool to help learn new things as well as reinforce skills learned in class. We will use computer programs such as Microsoft Word Documents, PowerPoint, Excel and Paint to produce work that shows what we learned in class in a creative way. Student’s will use a story builder program to write their own short stories. Students will experience hands on learning through the use of Legos. Students will learn skills such as following directions, writing directions and steps of a process. We will use them in team building activities. Eventually we will learn robotics by building Lego creatures we can animate through a computer program we create. Third graders will graduate to the upper school being able to type at least 15 words a minute, and they will be able to use the internet for research as well as homework help.
This is a class that both introduces children to technology and gives them the tools they will need to be successful in this technologically advanced era. Technology has taken over our society over the past 10 years and this trend is here to stay. I am excited about what new technologies this world is about to produce. My goal for my students is that they have the tools to be on the cutting edge of the new technology driven job market.
Grading System: Students will receive 1 point for following procedures and completing work each student can earn up to 5 points each class.
- 1 Point for entering the class silently, walking to their computer, starting “Do Now”
- 1 Point for completing the “Do Now” silently
- 1 Point for following the lesson plan and staying on task. Using time efficiently and silent
- 1 Point for following ALL directions and completing the assignment with minimal teacher assistance. Working independently and silently
- 1. Point for following the exit procedure. Finish up what they are working on, saving work, cleaning work station head phones to the right logged out of internet chair pushed in. Line up silently. Wait in silent line for teacher